Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dateline Normal: Saturday Night Lights: "Party Time----at the Grocery Store"--FICTION

Well, it's been a long week. After the long and bruising school board race, there are only so many times a guy can watch Rocky V. After several viewings, I simply got tired of Sylvester Stallone going to the graveyard to put flowers on the grave....It was time to move on.....

I headed out of town and over the long and winding road up Hwy 10 north of the Twin Cites to one of my favorite getaway spots---not the only one as some detractors alledge----Normal, Mn.. At the end of that long drive, I was ready for a refreshing beverage. I just could not wait to meet the whole gang at the Hideway Lounge. I had made my reservation at the Spruce Goose Motel so I was ready to party.

I called Herman on the cellphone as I entered town, and he said just to meet him at the Hideway---but they were going to a new place tonight since it was such a special post school board race party. When I got to the Hideaway, I saw the whole gang and they were really dressed up. No scrubby jeans. No rough shaven. No rough and tumble. They were in full party attire.

"What is the deal", I asked. " Why so dressy?"

"It's real simple," Herman belted out. "Up here in northern Minnesota they just passed a law that allows drinking in grocery stores. A free 6oz of beer as a sample. Just in case folks FORGOT how it tastes. Aint that somethun? It's like a miracle. We go out there every Saturday night now. "

I had heard about this new development. Why right here in Wisconsin, our own Gov. Doyle had mentioned that he supported the legislation. In fact, there was hardly one soul in Wisconsin that opposed it. The Gov had said that Wisconsin had a world class product...and well....they had to show off what a fine product it was. It sure was hard to argue with that progressive thinkin. If you have it. Flaunt it. Sell baby sell. Givin it away free is just the way to begin.

"I do not see how 6oz of beer could satisfy anyone, Herman. How does this work?, I asked.

"It's real simple, Wolfman, (that what he always called me.) We just try one bit of a sample and then shop, and shop, .....test another sample...and shop, shop, shop...Why sometimes we spend the whole night.....After a night of drinking beer, it is a natural to buy some snacks....which just happen to be handy. What could be better."

"Wow", I exclaimed. "This is really a dynamite concept."

"Yup," Herman gushed, "It's REAL progressive. That's where the "Fighting" part of Fighting Bob LaFollette comes from. After a full night of beer tastin it is REAL easy to get in a fight in the snacks aisle. The snack shelves sell out real quick. "

Well. Stunned I got in the car and headed back to good old Evansville. Where a Bloody Mary is still available. Where a Martini, shaken not stirred or a Manhatten is within easy reach.....and

Where we party down at Supermarkets---NOT.

Thank Goodness.

No comments: