Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Dateline Normal, Mn.: Normal celebrates "Justice Desserts"---FICTION

Recently I have been reading about the upcoming celebration of all the volunteers of Evansville and the special recognition that will be held at the Evansville High School called "Just Desserts."

I thought the idea was pretty cool. The reality is that communities need a vigorous volunteer involvement to make everything work to the maximum. Whether it is a hospital, a church, or a city .....volunteer participation is key.

So....I picked up the phone and called my old friend Herman, the country boy lawyer from Normal, Mn. . I was just wondering whether the spirit of volunteerism was alive up in fishing territory.

"Herman----have you every heard of something called "Just Desserts?" I asked.

"Shucks no, Wolfman,(that's what he always called me). I think you have the name wrong. Up in these parts we call it "Justice Desserts." I think you shortened the name up from a noun to an adjective. That makes it something completely different."

"I just don't understand, Herman----what could Justice Desserts be about?

"It's real simple Wolfman. Up here we just have homes and do a lot of fishing. So the guys up here are mostly mechanical types---craftsmen---that love the call of nature. "

"OK"----I think I understand that part, I said.

Then Herman went on. "Up here we want to foster a committment to quality craftsmanship. So. We made a simple change. We do not issue building permits. We just issue occupancy permits. Each home is inspected and if it does not meet code to the high standards of Normal, the occupancy permit is not granted. Simple as that.

Then each year, we honor the finest craftsmen of our town with the "Justice Desserts" plaque. A real plaque program. On each plaque, is the symbol of the scales of justice and recipient's name. On each home site, the guys just compete like heck to do the very best job they can to meet the specs so they can win the award. It is real amazing to watch.

"But what if there is error?", I asked. What happens then?

"The home just sits empty. It serves as a warning to others. Kind of a reverse role model of sorts. And of course it is a total loss."

"Wow." I was just stunned. Thank goodness we live in our fair city. Where we have "Just Desserts" and NOT "Justice Desserts"----where mostly builders just need building permits and not occupancy permits.

Still. The more I thought about it, the more I really wanted one of those Justice Plaques. With the scale on it. Boy would that look neat on the wall.

No comments: