Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dateline Normal, Mn.: Planning Commission Movies: The Mystery---FICTION-

Well. It sure has been hot...hot...hot in these here parts. Kinda like the weather of "Good Morning Vietnam.....". I felt it was just about time to head the car up north to cooler territory---up that long road to Normal, Mn., up on Hwy 10 north of the Twin Cites, just south of Garrison, and west of the land of Lake Woebegone.

There was a rush of fisherman cause of the great weather up north, so I had to check in to the Spruce Goose Motel right away. Thank goodness I did, cause I got the last room...a king size pull down from the wall bed with the deer and bear mounted on the walls...and yes with the little dove minibars in the ash trays for just a hint of upscale cache.

I met Herman over that the Hideaway Lounge where it was Elvis impersonation weekend. What a packed house. Anway, no sooner had I sat down, did Herman begin to rib me about all the video.

"What's with all the video, Wolfman? Herman laughed with a huge belly laugh. "And all the close ups. Ya need to do the long shots with the old guys. It's the young uns that you do the close ups with!." Ya really need a Busbie Berkely overhead shot--that would be really neat.....then he laughed uncontrollably....

"That's enough....that's just enough, I shouted.....which was rare for me..being so controlled and such.....We are working real hard at planning...and I am just doin the best I can to let everyone know in a real closeup way the fine job folks are doin....."

"What are you guys doin up here in Normal? I have not seen any movies of you guys. What's up?

Herman took a deep breath-------"Wolfman----(that's what he always called me) up here we can listen. We are in tune with nature. We love to fish. We know when folks are not able to buy----why meet and share and meet and share and connive and such when the folks have spoken-----they do not need your services. PERIOD. That is what a national housing slowdown means, Wolfman. Up here....we understand.

"Are you saying that we are hard of hearing?

"YES", Herman replied. That is exactly what I am saying. We have not had a planning meeting in over a year in Normal. And we do NOT plan on one till we see some demand. We have more important things to do---like fish.

Well. I was just shocked. I just got in the car and headed back to good old Wisconsin. Where we hold planning sessions even if nobody is buying. Where we have great close up movies of old guys and not just young movie stars. and where we can plan decades ahead even if nothin happens.

No comments: