Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dateline Normal: "Religion Comes to Normal, Mn.; Or, "It's an Act of God."--FICTION

It's been pretty hot, hot, hot around these here parts, and humid, and I just could not resist the temptation to head on up that long and winding road, up Hwy 10 north of the Twin Cities, to my favorite getaway town, Normal, Mn.

"The Pretenders" were playing live at the Hideaway Lounge when I arrived---I had missed the first set, which stoked me up, but I just could not speed, being that I had the blog signs on the car and all. Needed to be an example of following the speed limit.

Got settled in to listen to the live band and visit with the guys----I was one of the last folks there, so the only seat available was next to a huge speaker. Days later I could still hear the bass loud and clear.

About 11PM, a uniformed police officer, one of Normal's finest, came over and tapped Herman on the shoulder. They went out of the bar to talk for what seemed like the whole last set.

When Herman returned, I just could not resist asking.

"What was it all about Herman?

"It was just nothin, Wolfman. (That's what he always called me.) It was just an Act Of God."

"Whatever do you mean?, I asked.

"It's real simple, Wolfman. One of Henry's sons ran off the road and totalled the car. The car was filled with beer cans. However, the youngster was just trying to avoid hitting a 30 point buck. Went to extreme lengths to avoid that fine animal. It was really a "miracle." In fact.......It was an "Act of GOD."

I was speechless. "But Herman, nobody believes in God up in these here parts."

"Yes, that is true. Still, Wolfman, even in the case of extreme unbelievers---in time of extreme necessity----- ya have to have some explanation. In the end, it had to be the media------ or God that was to blame."

"Did the officer believe the "Act of God" or "miracle" story," I asked.

"Frankly, I am not sure. And it does not matter. He needed to get religion real quick or every fisherman in 100 miles would have been on his case."

Wow. I was totally amazed. I just got back in the car and headed back to good old Wisconsin. Thank goodness we live in a fair city that has beliefs, and not just religion that is convenient in a time of emergency. Thank goodness we do NOT brand an "Act of God" on every inconvenient tragedy that occurs.

Alleluia.

No comments: