Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Monday, July 2, 2007

Dateline Normal: "The Town that couldn't say "NO"

After a long series of Planning Commission meetings, I felt a need for a little R&R----a time to just fish and relax.

After I got settled in the short fishing boat with the 25 hp Johnson----I always let Herman, my old countryboylawyer friend from Normal, handle the motor. Just baiting the hook or getting the lures out for casting was enough of a challenge for me.

What about all them planning commissions up here in Normal, Herman? Back in Good old Wisconsin they just cannot seem to say NO. What is the point anyhow?


Herman let out a loud bellylaugh. "Shucks Wolfman---(that's what he always called me. Up here it's real simple. We have a platted map for 9000 homes. We did it in a marathon session with a special computer program. Real simple."

"Do you mean you annexed it all and platted it in one fell swoop."

"YUP" Herman said. "That way we got all the pandering out of the way in just one 24 hour session. "

"But you still only have 200 folks in town. That does NOT add up, Herman".

'Oh YES it does add up,"--Wolfman.

We never have to deal with any of them folks again. All the plattin and pandering is DONE. Now its just fishing and regular life. It's just real simple."

I was just stunned. Thank goodness I am back in good old Wisconsin. Where we can meet each month and smile and make speeches and al and never get tired of it. Thank goodness we are free to say YES all the time.

Alleluia.

No comments: