Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dateline Normal: "Fear of Handcuffs"---FICTION

Recently, after a busy week of writing, I felt the need to do a little ice fishing, and headed out of town, up that long and winding road, up north of the Twin Cities, just south of Garrison, Mn., to my favorite fishing town, Normal, Mn.

After a long drive, and all those cheap gas stations on the way with the coffee that was just a little overcooked, I felt the need for some good old strong fresh coffee...yes served in the tall Minnesota Viking Mugs. I met Herman at the little coffee shop, just kiddy corner to the famous bait shop, the one with the colored stones---the coffee shop was called "Betty Lou's"....after that famous song "Betty Lou's got a new pair of shoes," one of my favorite riffs of the 50's.

After I had a couple of swigs of the strong stuff, I asked Herman something that I have been wondering about for at least 48 hours:

"Herman, "what is the fear of handcuffs called. I never heard of this fear before. Our local town government has a real fear of being handcuffed. What is your take on this?"

Herman let out a huge bellylaugh.

"Shucks, Wolfman..(that's what he always called me ) This is God's country....and up here, where the lakes are clean, and the air is fresh....the only folks that have a fear of handcuffs....are...well....confined. Might be in a hospital or prison of some sort. In fact....up here....we celebrate handcuffs....and handcuffs of ALL sorts. We even sell em in the bait shop----Well it is technically the Beer, Bait and Ammo Shop, but we also carry handcuffs....of all kinds too. It is what we call diversity up here.

Then he let out another huge bellylaugh.

I guess I just don't understand. About the handcuff thing. About the fear. Handcuffphobia so to speak. In fact, I cannot even find the fear on Google. It must be something very rare.

3 comments:

Jess said...

It shouldn't be that rare a fear. Handcuffs are scary things. Read Gerald's Tale and you'll see what I'm talking about. The closest I can come up with is claustrophobia, if you use it inclusively to mean being trapped, not just in closed spaces. But a handcuff is a VERY small place. It should count, you'd think.

Smokem said...

I was actaully just trying to Google search the technical 'phobia' term of handcuffs myself. Frankly claustrophobia is the closest definition, but I do believe a more specific term should be made or already does exist somewhere. The fear is based on not being able to save yourself in a life or death situation from your hands being bound. Authorities should only use them when they are called for, not "just in case". It's insulting to us that actually obey the law.

Anonymous said...

Merinthophobia is the fear of being bound or tied up, which would probably be the closest to what you are thinking.