Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Monday, August 4, 2008

"Does Underwear Stink in Normal, Mn."----FICTION

Recently I have been examining my wardrobe, and planning purchases for the usual needed areas----work pants, underwear, socks, etc. I was honored to get on the mailing list of several national catalogs lately, and have been browsing----and hardly believing my eyes. It seems that there is "new" underwear that costs almost $20 each that simply does not "stink"---yes. That is what the sales lingo promises. Some new fangled microbial formula, sealed in a mayonaisse jar that was overlooked for centuries and now discovered. Seemed to me that this was quite a move up from the old prices...so I thought I should call my old friend, Herman, the countryboy lawyer from Normal, Mn.----after all. He was a lawyer, and also served on the Normal, Mn. school board. He should know all about stink and such.

The weather was rainy but thank goodness the call went through.

"Herman, What is with the new underwear that is in all them catalogs and selling for about $20 a pair that promises "NO STINK"---Guaranteed.?"

Herman let out a huge belly laugh.

"Shucks, Wolfman (that's what he always called me), that marketing machine has reached new heights---folks are always lookin to reach the promised land where we can be odor free---and believe me they will pay anything to think their poop does not stink---and the next best thing is if their underwear does not stink!!!!!!

Then Herman went on:

"Up here in Normal, Mn, we are too moxie for all that. We just buy the simple cotton briefs like we always have, and wash frequently. Nothing beats washing ones clothes to avoid the stink. "

Well. What a setback. Just when I thought there might be the chance to eliminate stink forever.

"Thanks Herman."

No comments: