Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dateline Normal: "The Second Opinion"------FICTION

Last week, just as I was about to head out of town, I got the call. A friend from the Twin Cities had gotten some terrible news. "M" as he is called, had been a fanatical athlete all through the years. All these years his motto has been "If a little is good, a lot is better----about candy...and also weight lifting. If I rowed my rower 200 strokes, he rowed 5000 strokes, if I benched 100 lbs, he benched 300 lbs. But that was then....

"I tore my rotator cuff, " "M" said. I went to a surgeon this morn and he said we needed to go to surgery "immediately." What should I do now?"

This was a rare moment. "M" never called me for advice....about anything. He must have remembered that I spent some time in health care...but that was years ago when ambulance runs cost $50....and when hospitals were hospitals and not medical centers with chopper pads up top. I knew "M" was counting on me for some insight. A little leverage that experience brings. So, I said,

"I'll call Herman in Normal, Mn. and see what he thinks. In the meantime, I will come to the Twin Cities in case we need to get a "SECOND OPINION". I heard about them "second opinions" from truly distinguished international medical facilities that have many chopper pads and where many, many languages are spoken...even English. "

"M" said he would be waiting to hear what I could arrange and see me in 6 hours after the drive.

Enroute, I called Herman, my old countryboy lawyer friend in Normal, Mn. . I relied on his down home wisdom and legal knowhow in.... well,...almost every area of life. I know his specialty was real estate....but still.... I hoped he knew something about rotator cuffs.

"Herman", I said on the cell phone, "what do you know about "second opinions" and where could I get one."

Herman let out a huge belly laugh. "Shucks, Wolfman, (that's what he always called me), "second opinions" are dime a dozen. Just go to any bar and strike up a question on baseball or football and you will get lots of second opinions. In fact, love, money and sports are big areas where lots of opinions are available."

"I need one on "rotator cuffs," I said.

"That's a problem, Wolfman. That's a BIG problem. Second opinions are just for stuff that is NOT really too important....like sports.....or.... politics. When it comes to REAL deadly serious stuff....like medicine....and YES....... engineering matters.....there is really only ONE opinion. It's just that when things get REAL serious, folks that consider themselves second opinion guys get all sensitive about offending the sensitivities of any of their "esteemed" collegues. "

"How could that be?," I asked.

"It's real Simple, Wolfman. Remember when you were a kid and you were in the grocery store and wanted a candy bar. "I want THAT ONE MOM,!!!!!! Remember? Your mom offered a SECOND OPINION. "That's not good for you.....".

"Doctors and Engineers are just like little kids. They know a candy bar when they see one....and .....well.....it's rare that anyone ever gets a second opinion out of them.....". Even a clear cut FIRST opinion is sometimes hard. Sometimes ya just get a "double handed" opinion I call em,....."On the one hand....but on the other hand...."....you know what I mean, Wolfman."

"I disagree, Herman, " I blurted out. I just know there must be total professionals that could help. But I will remember what you have said." Then I hung up just as cell phone reception was getting rough.

When I got through the bad cell phone area, I arranged a "stat" second opinion appointment. Had the records faxed. Told "M" I would pick him up shortly and told him to get his medical history sorted out in his head.

When we arrived after a two hour drive to the world famous medical center, I went over the history:


:
Sent MRI Left Shoulder
Sent X Ray Right Shoulder
Confirmed arrival
Had MRI taken Right Shoulder
Had X Ray of Left Shoulder

Sitting in the room with "M" I was thinking about the words of "Herman" and the candy bar. I just knew that a second opinion was possible.

Just then, the doctor entered the consulting room. No sooner than he had entered, his cell phone went off. He smiled. "Just be a second," he smiled. He then went over schedule conflicts in a very detailed way. Then he got three more calls.

After about five minutes of calls, the visit began:

"Well, I have good news, " he said. "The right shoulder is not torn. It is strained, but it should be o.k. if ya just take it easy for a while. "

"What about the left, " "M" asked.

"Shucks," the doc said, "If the right is ok, the left is probably o.k. too."

I could still hear Herman's words about that candy bar as the conversation resumed.

"M' said, "Here is the first doctors report that says the left is torn. "

"Well, if it says so, I guess it is torn, " the doc said.

"When would you like to schedule surgery? Yup. We could fit you in next week. Just let my secretary know."

Just then the cell phone started ringing.

"O.K. lets fit a 3:30Pm in and then adjust the.........as the converstation trailed off......"

I had Herman's telephone number on speed dial.

"O.K. Herman. You were RIGHT. Why didn't you tell me that a SECOND OPINION is just another guy reading the first guy's written report and making another charge?

"Relax Wolfman. Relax...... Just step away from the medical center........ Bring "M" up to Normal. Meet me at the Hideaway Lounge. We've got a real good doc up here that can help. Great Bass fisherman........"

No comments: