Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Saturday, April 7, 2007

Dateline Normal: The Cameras-----Fiction

Last night after watching the live camera in the historic four square of downtown Evansville capture all the live excitement of the vibrant downtown, I called Herman, my countryboy lawyer friend in Normal, Mn. to share the good news.


" Just click on the link on The Observer," I explained to Herman. "Is that cool or what?"

"What is the purpose?" Herman asked.

"It is just to keep track of the historic restoration of our downtown----basically to watch how the bricks are coming," I responded.

"That's nothin, Wolfman, (that's what he always called me.) Up here we had TEN cameras. Man was that something."

"What do you mean HAD ten cameras, Herman. Did not the cameras work properly."

"They worked just WONDERFUL, "Herman gushed. "They worked just too darn well. Ya gotta understand, Wolfman, there are only two intersections in Normal, Mn... With ten cameras we had it totally covered. In fact TOO covered. Our cops just sat in the police station and watched their computers. Pretty soon, it became a threat to public health."

"What do you mean a threat to public health?," I asked. It sounds like nirvana to me."

"It was a threat since all crime just dried up. There was nothing for the police or the judges and lawyers to do. It was a real catastrophe."

"Wow." I said. "I never thought of that possibility."

Thank goodness I am back here in good old Evansville. Where we only have ONE camera downtown. And where we have just enough crime to keep everyone busy.

Alleluia.

No comments: