Tales From Normal, Mn.--FICTION

Tales from Normal, Mn. Headline News---FICTION

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fireworks as the total Economic Development Program: Tales from Normal, Mn: FICTION

I just received a text message from Normal, MN. from Herman, my old countryboylawyer friend---reassuring me that there were fireworks ALL four nights this weekend.....and with free hearing checks on Monday for all seniors who notice being a little more deaf.

I was stunned by this news. Today, when in the light of layoffs all over, many cities have stopped fireworks all together as something abhorent or decadent, or both. Herman was quick to explain:

"Up here its just Firewater and Fireworks---the total Economic Development Plan...trust me...we have tried everything else and it does not work....It would be nice to have jobs and have earned income...but let's be real and realistic.....fireworks and Firewater is all we can count on. We were already drinking record amounts...so we just had to increase the fireworks, hoping for an increased economic payback.

I just did not have the heart to tell him that Medicare does not pay for hearing exams....oh well....

No comments: